Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Poverty and Potato Chips

Home-made potato chips.  Use a peeler, skin and shave the potato down, deep oil and a basket, and you've got a production line going.  It felt like we had to be kinda poor at that moment, making your own potato chips, but my dad loved it!  Actually, we were poor, with him back in college.

Today, I enjoyed potato chips with lunch, the paid-for kind.  $3.99 for 8 1/2 ounces of nutritionally correct, very good potato chips.  Not better than Dad's, but very good.  Let's see, that adds up to $7.51 per pound!  Really?

How much potato can I buy for $7.51 - - 10 pounds, 15 or 20 on sale, maybe.  Gee, am I RICH enough to pay $7.51 per pound for processed potatoes?  What else could I get for that money?  You do the math, but for that money, I could get a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, a can of beans, and a small loaf of bread;  or a pound of potato chips.

Got me to wondering if, just maybe, Dad wasn't on to a good idea.  Maybe our delight in processed foods is a luxury.  Maybe.

Next time you feel impoverished, to some degree, remember what we all feel comfortable spending, without a second thought.  And think about those uncounted millions of people who live on less than $1 per day.

Usually, there's not much to reflect on, just in a potato chip.  But, sometimes.........

No comments:

Post a Comment