Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Never Say Never

It didn't fit my scheme of things. I did NOT believe in ghosts. Still don't, really. Except. And, no, it doesn't iron out the wrinkles in this thing to call a ghost an angel.

I was called to do a funeral for a born-in-Lindale person who had been gone 50 years. No family, no friends, no connections. There were about 20 people at the funeral, which surprised the funeral director and me.

The opening song was played, I stood and began the opening Scriptures. Suddenly, my dad, who had died 2 years before, leaned out from behind one of the folks attending. He smiled, gave me a thumbs-up, and leaned back, again unseen, never to be seen again. I continued the service, after the jolt, relying on 50 years of experience to remember what came next and on long-memorized words to complete the simple service. As the mourners filed out, there was no man even slightly resembling my father. Not even close. I watched intently, and then everyone was gone from the room, and we took the casket to the hearse.

Meaning? Really not sure. Endorsement? That's what it felt like. Ever happen before or since? Not at all.

So? What's the point? No matter what our theology and doctrine, there are events and experiences that open the doors we work hard to keep closed. This world is full of mysteries, which some of us see and some never do.

Here's the "So". If a person believes something different from my beliefs, that does not make that person "wrong", just one who has experienced something I have not. Jesus told us to LOVE enemies, critics, all sorts of "different" folks. He did not call us to compete, attack, or overwhelm, but to love our enemies and those who are different.

I may not have seen what you have, and you may have not seen, or will ever see, a ghost. But it's kinda important to never say never.

No comments:

Post a Comment