Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Target

Someone said,  "Why are you writing?"  My response:  "There is a conversation coming.  I don't know 'with whom', but it's coming.  Maybe already started."

But, that's just half an answer.  The whole answer is a little different.

When the children were small, we found a book they loved.  It was all about a little puppy left at home alone one day.  Bored with chasing his tail and exploring the small back yard, Puppy found a hole in the fence, and went looking for fun.  A squirrel offered acorns, but that didn't turn out well.  A pig invited him to romp in the mud, but that sure wasn't his thing.  A bird invited him to fly, but that just didn't work.  And other adventures followed.  Finally, the little puppy made his way back through the hole in the fence, just before his family came home.  And he was SOOOOO happy to be there, for puppy-kind-of-fun.

Every puppy needs to know where the fun is.  For this "puppy",  the energizing fun is in communicating.  Sunday mornings' time in the pulpit still leave me "energized" and ready for more.  Discovering a new perspective in a book leaves me eager to read another chapter.

When I was three, my aunt gave me a library card and took me to the library to pick out a book.  She made sure that I understood: EVERY book is a window into someone else's mind and heart.  She also convinced me that THAT endeavor, opening that window, is life's most fascinating.

Schweitzer, Lewis, Twain, Shakespeare are among the most fascinating people who open doors and let us look in.  I'm NOT them, but I'm still fascinated with opening a door, and then seeing where the communication goes.

Every puppy, you and me, needs to find exactly THEIR kind of fun.  I hope you have already found yours!  After all, that's part of God's rationale for making us.

No comments:

Post a Comment