Total Pageviews

Friday, January 21, 2011

Yesterday's "Minor Famous People"

I like "minor famous people", the ones who excel at a little slice of life, and thoroughly enjoy it.  I specially like the ones who do that for a whole lifetime!

Invited to sing Christmas carols one year, I looked forward to singing with two of those "minor famous people", one about my age, one about 20 years older.  The younger one had traveled across Louisiana with Singing Governor Jimmie Davis, and also been known as the Hadacol Girl.  A teen sensation, she had entertained crowds, and sung commercials with a fabulous and friendly voice.  The older friend had traveled in a different sort of role, as the pianist for one of the Stamps-Baxter Gospel quartets. Superb talents.  When I met them?  Living quiet lives, no fame, just a few neighbors who liked them personally.

Getting ready for the performance, I visited with the pianist.  Two enormous filing cabinets of music by the piano, she was ready for any request!  Even had special glasses so her failing eyes could continue to inform her incredible love for making music.

I suppose the small audience enjoyed the carol singing.  I know that I was absolutely happy to have the experience of doing what I love, with two people who had celebrated doing what they love for a whole life-time.

God has many gifts, in all sizes and colors, but there may be nothing better than sharing that way.  It may be sharing any one of His gifts - - they're all good - - and knowing that the sharing enhances the gift so much more than you ever expected.

Thank God for His good gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment