Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Habakkuk

The short book with the funny name comes up again.  I love Habakkuk!  A short book with a powerful witness, Habakkuk himself is almost a parable.  Great statements aside, the outline itself is superb.

Witness to an invasion, in the "old world" style of brutality and extermination, Habakkuk survives.  He reflects, lifts  up a controversy with the Lord, then a praise.  But it is the concluding hymn/poem that is the wonderful affirmation:  even if ALL the benefits disappear, I will JOY in the Lord.

The foundation is faith, and faith trumps material measurements.  Now, is that something our age seems to need?

Take another look into Habakkuk.  Comments are welcome.  Slow comments shape next year's visit with Habakkuk.  Quick comments might shape this Sunday's early-service sermon.

Bryan

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Habakkuk... That's a funny name.

    I did some reading last night and again today regarding Habakkuk, following the Celebration planning meeting.

    I love the song at the end about JOY in the Lord. It's more than just TRUST in God or having HOPE for things to come... It's the JOY in knowing that it's ok to question God, that God doesn't always give us the answers we want or those that we fully understand... but we can delight in the fact that God is faithful and good and just. We can celebrate the JOY in knowing that God ALWAYS knows what's best for us.

    Someone once told me: Even though I'm only peeping through the knot hole in the fence watching the parade in little bits as it passes directly in front of me, God is sitting on top of the fence and can see the whole parade at once... beginning to end.

    I think I will make stew today in honor of Habakkuk! I wish we were in town this weekend to hear your sermon.

    Charlene Burton

    ReplyDelete