Total Pageviews

Monday, November 15, 2010

Learn Something Every Day

Just out of seminary, I was excited about a new book one day, and mentioned it to my senior pastor.  His reply?  "I'm solid, don't need it!.  I don't read new books anymore!"

Well, that sure closed a door!  He remained an admired friend for lots of other reasons, but that closed off a whole area of life.

I like scanning blogs.  I'm a follower of one photography blog that features abandoned hotels and amusement parks.  I'm a follower of one that has a huge discussion spin-off:  http://rachelheldevans.com.  Today's is a provocative question about God's care for Anne Frank.  I write three, and enjoy reading several.  Always something new to learn EVERY day.  And I appreciate the responses to this little instrument, you know.

I like teaching, because students and other participants always bring a fresh insight.  And I thrive on preaching, because it is so much more of a conversation than most people think.  There is NO sermon in which I don't LEARN, from the spoken and visual responses that occur in the moment.  Those responses bring the Word to the speaker at least as clearly as to the hearer.

In fact, all of the community that God has built is a blessing to all of us.  And the more you look around, the more blessed you feel.

Thank YOU for being one who reads and discovers.  Blessings on your day.

1 comment:

  1. I find I learn a lot about people in my work with the David Powell Community Food Pantry in Lindale. I like talking with clients that come there for food, and I like talking with our volunteers. It has broadened my perspective on people in general, and I have found that people in any "station" in life more often than not are wonderful people that are depending on Christ on a day-to-day basis and are thus effectively dealing with life, no matter what's been served them.

    ReplyDelete