Total Pageviews

Friday, November 12, 2010

The Prayer Guy

Some days he just springs into my mind.

I guess he was my favorite in-law.  In assisted living quarters,  the entire staff would come by, one by one, to have prayer with Ervin.  One soon volunteered to serve as a door-opener to the nursing home area, where he'd visit room after room, just for prayer time.

A journeyman welder, pipe-fitter, boiler-maker, and the senior pipe bender at Texas Pipe in Pasadena, Ervin pre-fabbed the last "new" refinery built, at the end of a long career.  His "Pipebender's Bible" is a staple in the union hall.  But  his life as a Bible-teacher and prayer warrior was his real legacy.

As a pastor, I'm often asked how we can lift up "so and so" and their legacy.  It is a wonderful thing to HAVE a legacy to lift up, which isn't all politeness and "froth".

During Ervin's funeral, I paused somehow longer than I intended (this frog suddenly sprang up in my throat) after asking:  "And what could we hear him say from across the river today?"  From the back of the room came the answer (his hallmark phrase) I had been intending to speak :  "Just right!"  Then laughter and folks repeated his slogan with a smile.  Through the valley of the shadow of death, with a smile and a "just right!"

That's a legacy!

How's life going?

After prayer:  "Just right!"

Most times, that's enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment